This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.


Birth Records

The birth records in Cabell County date back to 1853, however, we only have the actual certificates dating back to 1927 and due to a flood, records starting from 1855 through 1864 are missing.
A birth record must be 100 years of age before it is open for the general public to obtain certificates.  If a birth certificate is needed for registering a child in school, you must obtain one from the State Vital Statistic’s office.  This is mandated under West Virginia law. 
Here is the link to go to the official West Virginia Vital Statistics Web Site.

Who can obtain a Birth Certificate?

The registrant, his/her immediate family, guardians, or their legal representatives may obtain a copy of birth certificiates and they must be 18 years of age or older.
Immediate family includes:  mother or father, son or daughter, brother or sister, husband or wife, mother-in-law or father-in-law, son-in-law or daughter-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, stepmother or stepfather, stepchild
Note: If fathers’s name is not shown on birth certificate, he or his family cannot obtain a copy without a court order or court ordered paternity determination.
Identification Requirements: A picture I.D. is required and includes a State Issued I.D., Driver’s License, Work I.D., Student I.D., etc.
Fee for Certified Copy:  $5.00
pdf PDF Application Form (265 KB)

Establishing Paternity:

This process is handled entirely by the West Virginia State Vital Statistic’s office. However, you can obtain a Paternity Affidavit at the County Clerk’s office or the Department of Health and Human Resources. For detailed information, contact the State Vital Statistic’s office.

Correcting a Birth Certificate:

All changes to birth records must be done through the State Vital Statistic’s office.   Depending upon the type of change as to what records or information is required. A pdf Affidavit to Correct a Birth Certificate (32 KB) must be completed for any type of change requested.  You can obtain all the necessary information for making a change by to the State Vital Statistic’s office located on this page.