This website uses cookies to store your accessibility preferences. No personal / identifying information is stored. More info.


Marriage Records/Licenses

Beginning October 2, 2023, there is now an easier way to order your Vital records. Our new platform Vital Director allows customers to order and pay for Vital records online, without having to step foot in our office and wait in line.

You can request and pay for your certified copies online by clicking Vital Director!!

(Our office only holds the Vital Statistic records for Cabell County only.)

Marriage Records

Cabell County marriage records date back to 1809. 

Marriage records must be 50 years old before the general public can obtain a certificate.  However, actual marriage applications are not open to the general public.

Who can obtain a marriage certificate?

The parties involved, his or her immediate family, guardians, or legal representatives.

Immediate family includes:  mother or father, son or daughter, brother or sister, husband or wife, mother-in-law or father-in-law, son-in-law or daughter-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, stepmother or stepfather, stepchild

Fee for Certified Copy:  $5.00

Marriage Licenses

Requirements for Obtaining a Marriage License

Applying for Marriage License

  • No appointments necessary.  Walk-ins are welcome from 9:30am to 3:30pm.
  • Parties must come to the County Clerk’s office together to apply.
  • Parties must fill out and sign a Marriage License Application.
  • Parties must present valid identification with proof of age (Ex:  Driver’s License, State Identification, Passport or U.S. Armed Forces Identification)
  • Non-Citizens:  If one or both applicants are residents of a foreign country and do not have a social security card, then they must present a Green Card, Work Visa, Passport, Tourist, or Visitor Visa Number.
  • Parties must provide Social Security Number.  If the applicant(s) are residents of a foreign country and do not have a Social Security Number, they must present a green card, work visa, passport, or a tourist/visitor visa number.
  • The fee for obtaining a Marriage License, without pre-marriage counseling, is $57 .00
  • The fee for obtaining a Marriage License, with pre-marriage counseling, is $37.00 and proof of marriage counseling must be presented when an application for a license is made. The premarital education course completion certificates must be dated within one year of the application for marriage, on letterhead, and signed by the minister or counselor. 
  • Parties must provide Mother's and Father's full names (First, Middle, and Last Name, including Mother's maiden name) and place of birth (City, State, and Country). 
  • If either party has been previously married, they must provide the exact month, day, and year that the previous marriage ended and indicate if was by death or divorce. 
  • An applicant under 18 but at least 16 years of age may not marry an applicant over 4 years older. 
  • An applicant who is under the age of 18 but who is at least 16 years of age must give his/her signed acknowledgement that he/she is freely and voluntarily choosing to enter into a marriage and not under duress or coercion by another person. 
  • An applicant under 18 but at least 16 must have written, notarized consent from their parent(s) or legal guardian and that person/persons must be present when the license is applied for. Please check with the Vital Statistics in the Cabell County Clerk's office with further questions. 
Marriage License are:

Issued while you wait, effective immediately after issued, valid for 60 days, effective only in West Virginia, must be married by a minister that is registered in the State of West Virginia or Judicial Judge, and no blood test is required.

Fees are paid by Cash or Card